Williamsport Red Men Tribe #84 is the Largest
Tribe within The Improved Order of Red Men Organization.
The Great Council of the United States and the Reservation
of Maryland chartered the Conococheague Tribe 84 in 1887. We
then occupied an old church on South Conococheague Street
in the Town of Williamsport Maryland 20 years or so after
the Civil War came through this area.
Today the Williamsport Redmen and Pocahontas have over 4,000
members and are still growing.
In more recent history in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s
Williamsport Red Men Tribe #84 fell on hard times and almost
had to surrender it’s Charter. There were only
a handful of dedicated and committed members left at the time. But
fortunately for the tribe it was enough to keep it going and
During the 1970’s, a Boys group was formed called the
Degree of Hiawatha, and it was designed for boys between the
ages of 8-16 years old. They learned the Tribal ways,
and helped with the parades that were held in town. The Red
Men and Degree of Hiawatha, along with the Degree of Pocahontas
would dress in our Indian Regalia and use a float for these
town parades. The boys group has since become defunct.
In the Early 1980’s we had saved enough money to purchase
a large tract of land outside of the town of Williamsport,
and a new improved facility was built there. . This large
red facility sits on several acres of land on Lappans Road
in Williamsport, and it is complete with ballroom, dining room,
game room,, and bar area. The Grand Opening was held on
May 20, 1989. A few years later a large pavilion was built
and complemented with kitchen, grills, refrigeration units,
and modern restrooms.